Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2001

August 8-18: Michelle's Aventures in Journeyland (The Finale!)

Yet another trip to Denny’s, this time for a pre-show lunch with still more Journey Forum folks I hadn’t met (well, at least most I hadn’t met). Cat met us there, and had brought an old friend of hers who watched in amazement as 30 adults yammered on and on for an hour about Journey past, present and future. It wasn’t until we were leaving the restaurant that I learned one of our late arrivals sitting at a different table was Matt, the fellow who had done the interview with Herbie Herbert! I managed to catch him later in the night to congratulate him on his coup and ask when the next bit would be going up. The best news was that he planned to keep it up indefinitely unless he heard from some lawyers!
We get to the show and I pick up my fan club seat, but sadly no after-show pass. Oh well, some other time. Once inside, Rose and I found Cat and sat and chatted with our fellow fans. At a lull in the conversation, Cat leaned over and said “come with me”, and we went off to the side of the seats. Cat said that since I had been to so many shows this summer and hadn't gotten back stage once, she was giving me her extra after-show pass! Happy dance for me!! After 13 shows in 5 states, I finally get a chance to say thanks to the guys for a great summer! What a way to end the night.
The concert came and went much too quickly, and I had a huge lump in my throat at several different points—my summer was coming to an end, and after all the fun I had had, it was a serious let down. During the encore when everyone was singing the “na na” part of “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’”, Steve pointed out in the audience and said “Hi Mark!”—yes, “our” Mark, who was sitting two rows behind me, center stage. What a great guy!
After the show ended, I found Cat and Rose and headed over to the after show line. Cat left us for a bit to say good bye to her friend, and I made sure Rose stuck close to me since she didn’t have a pass. When Cat returned, she grabbed us out of line and took us over to where the “official” people were waiting—Michael and his wife and friends, Miles and his wife. Cat said Rose would be her guest, and with that, we were the first batch in for the meet and greet.
When we got inside we saw a long table set up, and only Ross was ready and waiting. We knew that Neal wouldn’t be making it, but where were the rest of the guys?? The group of us bantered with Ross for a bit until Steve, Deen and Jon arrived, then the line kicked in gear. While we were waiting we tried to figure out how to get the pictures we needed...alas, due to the rushing of the guards, that proved to be difficult! Rose went ahead of me, and I managed to snap a picture of her and Steve before I was pretty much forced to take my turn in line! No more pictures!
I introduced myself to Steve and handed him my Arrival liner notes—thank goodness I’d been toting the darned thing around all week. All I needed was his signature and Deen’s and I’d have all 5! I was able to thank him on behalf of the JPP gang once again for all they had done for us. At this point, Ross looked up at me and said “I know you!” I laughed and said, “Yeah, I’m sure you do.” (Hanging outside of radio stations in the freezing cold does pay off sometimes!) I had handed Ross my ticket stub to sign, and in one of the most obvious cases of habit, Ross grabbed my Arrival notes and signed away. I laughed and pointed out to him that he’d already signed it! He saw that he had and said “Well, okay, I signed for Jon!” He laughed again when I said “Jon’s done too!”
Deen was next and said “Hey! You made it!” and proceeded to introduce me to his wife Julie as he signed my ticket stub and the liner notes. I said “See, I told you that I show up, even if you don’t always see me.” He then looked around and asked me where Cheryl and Ana Marie were. I told them that they were back home, and I would be joining them tomorrow, which was extremely disappointing. At this point Jon leaned over and said “So, do you want to go to Lubbock Texas for me then?” I laughed and said no thanks, one trip to Texas this summer was enough for me! He then grabbed my Arrival notes, which were closed by this point, and signed the back! Great...now I’ve got both Ross and Jon’s signatures twice on the same set of notes!
Rose and I were rushed out at this point, and had to wait a few minutes for Cat to finish her turn through the line. When she came out, she was in tears. I told her she had to stop or I’D start crying...It had been such a great summer, and now it was over! Waaaaahhhh!!!
The three of us headed back to the hotel and had a wonderfully nutritious dinner of Diet Pepsi, pretzels and Cheez-Its. None of us wanted to go to sleep since we knew in the morning it would really be over as we all went our separate ways and headed back home. Cat tried to talk me into changing my flight the next day and going with her to see Gregg Rolie up in Orange County where he was doing an in-store appearance. I was sorely tempted, but knew I couldn’t, so Sunday morning came and I headed out for my flight home.
I arrived home safe and sound, if somewhat down. What an incredible summer it had been. So many friends and places, such good times...I was sorry to see it all end. But as the song says...
On my heart it’s written, we will meet again....

No comments: