Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2001

August 8-18: Michelle's Adventures in Journeyland (part 4)

We were back to the hotel by 2:00 and in bed shortly thereafter. Our Saturday event was an early lunch at the Fog City Diner, site of a Journey photo shoot for the Raised on Radio album. (And, to our surprise, there was a picture of Neal hanging on the wall outside the ladies room!) Amazingly we ran on time for this day, and got to the diner for a group lunch. While we waited on our food, we held a personalized quiz for Cat, since she’d missed the entire event the day before with her Fan Club obligations. Then it was time for the raffle, and I think everyone went home happy with some autographed goodie.
Back to the hotel for a quick change of clothes and a video thank you from the committee to the band (next time, cue cards for me...) and off to the cars for the drive to Marysville for that night’s concert. Smokers in one car, nonsmokers in the other, and we were off. I led to the bridge and Darla (with Ana Marie as a navigator) let the rest of the way. We would have been perfectly on time too if we hadn’t missed the exit and gone about 3 miles out of our way. I still hate driving a mini van though...awful awful awful...and the fact we weren’t killed twice is simply amazing...I guess my skills are better than I thought!
Mary Ann had gotten Fan Club seats for the two of us, and Ana Marie had them again for she and Toni. Imagine our shock when Ana Marie got after show passes again! Wow. Mary Ann and I had 3rd row seats for this show, and as luck would have it, Cat was sitting in the same row, two seats over! We talked to the couple sitting between us, Mark and Jae—also fan club members—and asked if they would mind moving down a seat so that the three of us could sit together. They were more than gracious and agreed, and so, when “Faithfully” was played, Cat, Mary Ann and I wound up on the giant video screen as we swayed back and forth in time to the song. Yet another claim to fame!
Once more the show came and went too quickly and it was time to go outside. Getting through the throngs of people with after show passes was a bit of a trick—apparently a couple of radio stations had given bunches away. We all waited outside again for Ana Marie who was able to bring her Aunt Sheryl to the after show this time. The wait wasn’t nearly as long this time…Ana Marie was out in about 20 minutes. We all piled back into the cars and headed back to The City, having said our farewells to Angie and Michelle A. who were staying in the area on their way to Konocti the next day.
After more adventures in driving through San Francisco in a mini van, we arrived back at the hotel around 2:00 and gathered the committee in my room. Mary Ann had a 6:00 flight, so her shuttle was picking her up at 4:15. We all stayed up with her to say good-bye, and then crawled into bed. The 8:30 wake up call was a cruel way to start Sunday morning, but we had arranged for an “informal” farewell brunch at 9:00. I had just crawled out of bed when there was a soft knock on my door...uncertain if we’d put out the do not disturb sign, I got up to answer it to make sure it wasn’t housekeeping. It wasn’t. It was Dale. I told her I’d just gotten up and I’d meet her in the lobby in a few minutes. I splashed some water on my face and pulled on some clothes and stumbled downstairs as the rest of my committee members slowly awoke and arose.
Brunch ended and it was time to say our good-byes. Everyone needed to check out of their hotels and get headed for home. It had been a fantastic weekend and the complete and utter exhaustion I was feeling was well worth it. I finally arrived home for some brief rest around 3 Sunday afternoon. I unpacked enough to do laundry, took a nap, ate a light dinner, and crawled into my very own bed for a good night’s sleep.
Journey Past and Present 2001 was over. The next week was mine...all mine...5 Journey shows in 7 days...
to be continued...

No comments: