Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2001

August 17, 2001: Deen's Birthday

San Bernadino, CA
Blockbuster Pavilion



Since it's only 1:15 in the morning, thus I'm a full 45 minutes ahead of my usual bedtime out here... you get an immediate report...

First... DANG it’s HOT out here... ick! Can’t stand it.


On to the show... perk #1... third row seats are in the shade! WOO HOO! My ticket said the show started at 7:30, when I called the venue, they said the show started at 6:30, so a compromise was reached and John Waite hit the stage at 7:00! I could go on for pages about the freakin' security at Blockbuster, but let's just say that forcing people to go back to their seats during John Waite's set (when the place is only half full) but NOT making people go back to their seats during Journey's set (when the place is packed) is NOT cool....

Waite's set was much the same as usual, though he surprised me about 3 songs in by playing something I haven't heard before. Beats the heck outta me what it was.


Frampton once again put on an entertaining performance. Now, if I can only figure out how to transplant his personality with John Waite's set, and I think we'd have a winning combination! Between the sets, it was time for another Fan Club group photo (look for it in the Dixie Highway on the Journey forum soon.)

And so, Journey takes the stage. The usual video included a clip of a group of kids that were there for the pre-show. I couldn't tell what the organization was, but it looked like they were having a blast. My seat tonight sure as heck made up for the lousy seating in LA—third row, right in front of Jon.


Alas, the seats were waaaay too close together so I could barely move during the show without elbowing someone. And I had the pleasure of having about 4 people in my general section kicked out at various points (including the woman who, I kid you not, sat down during "Stone in Love" and sprayed PERFUME on herself. I nearly choked on the fumes!) so that was a bit distracting in the overall feel of the show. The crowd, in general however, was FANTASTIC... they really got into the show.

A few memorable moments... when Steve was about to introduce "Higher Place" the Arrival cover wasn't up on the video screen so he and Jon vamped for a few seconds until it came up and one of them (Jon I think) said "Ahh.. there’s our baby!" At some point in the set (I missed it but was told afterwards) Steve fell again... yikes. He didn't appear any worse for wear.

Amber Schon & Julie Castronovo bring out the cake
The highlight of the night was Deen's birthday. About mid-way through the set, the camera guy got behind Deen's kit, and you could see a little sign posted on the wall to Deen's left that said "Happy Birthday Deen"—quite colorful. There were also a few Happy Birthday signs in the crowd from the fans. After the main set was over (when the guys usually come up to take a bow), Deen worked his way out from his cage, and Amber Schon and Julie Castronovo walked out on stage with a big cake loaded with candles. As Neal strummed "Happy Birthday" on his guitar, everyone realized that someone was playing the drums!


It was Deen's little boy Kyle, and let me tell you this kid was FANTASTIC! He's definitely taking after his daddy. I was blown away and Deen was obviously so very proud. It was a very cool moment.
Kyle Castronovo on drums!

A few little surprises in tonite's set list...

Anyway You Want It
Only the Young
-- Neal solo (Amazing Grace) --
Stone in Love
I Got a Reason
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Lights
-- Jon solo --
Open Arms (!! I haven’t heard this since Dallas!)
Feeling That Way
Anytime
Higher Place
Chain Reaction
Don't Stop Believin'
Faithfully
Livin' to Do
Escape
-- mini-drum solo --
-- Neal solo --
Wheel in the Sky
-- mini-drum solo --
Be Good To Yourself

Deen's birthday surprises

Encore:
Separate Ways
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

No comments: