Search This Blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

January 13, 2007: Return to the Fox

Redwood City, CA
Fox Theater

So, two weeks, two benefits, two reports! The Nor Cal gang came to MY part of the bay and took in another great show by Gregg and his band at the Fox Theater in Redwood City. Now, unfortunately, it wasn't like the LAST time Gregg played a Voices of Latin Rock Benefit at the Fox -- where he was joined by Neal and several fellow former Santana members. Okay, so now I'm REALLY bummed I didn't grab a ticket to the show at Bimbo's on Thursday. Siiighh... Oh well, maybe next time! The show opened with a band called La Ventana that most of us missed as we were hanging out in the lobby of the theater yammering away as we always do at one of these gigs. When Malo took the stage we decided to go inside where it was MUCH warmer than the lobby which had an icy wind blowing through. (And while I know most folks live in places where it routinely snows during this time of year, we NorCals are NOT used to temps in the 30s and 40s as it has been lately and was again last night -- BRRRRR!)

Malo put on a good show which had people dancing all around. And despite only knowing one song myself (their big hit "Suavacito") I found myself dancing along as well. There's just something to those Latin rhythms that make you just want to move!

Gregg hit the stage about 9:45 or so and by that time we'd all worked our way down front. Anyone who's seen Gregg's band play knows just how good they are and how much fun they always seem to have on stage. The set list wasn't all that much different than any other time I've seen him over the last 6 years or so. More Santana stuff this time than Roots stuff, plus one new tune that he really needs to get recorded.

While they were playing I had the same thought cross my mind that I often have when I see Gregg -- all of those songs are nearly as old as I am. Gregg's time in Santana began before I was born (sorry Gregg!) and lasted until I was about 3 years old, but all those songs still sound completely fresh and exciting. Sure, I have literally been hearing them all my life, but there is a LOT of music I've been hearing all my life that hasn't held up over time.

The only downer of the show was it was general admission which means invasion of your personal space and all the general stupidity that comes along. Even with a more mature crowd, it's still annoying.

After Gregg's show was done, a couple of folks hopped next door to the Little Fox to catch the last bit of Evolution's show. I wasn't one, but did catch the end of "Faithfully" through the windows as I headed back to my car. The folks who caught that show will have to fill us all in.*

*I should have stuck around outside to listen from the street. Gregg joined Evolution for a few songs later in their set, including "Just the Same Way." My excuse -- it was below 30 degrees out! Way cold for the Bay Area!

No comments: