Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2001

June 9, 2001: End of the Road Trip

San Antonio, TX
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater



Well, it looks like my road trip has ended. Due to the flooding caused by Tropical Storm Allison, the show at The Woodlands (near Houston) has been cancelled, so I'm going to try to find my way home from here.

So, the highlights from this show. First, John Waite started a few minutes early so he added another song to his set. Since my brain has to turned glue, I have no idea what it was. Second, early in Peter Frampton's set, he noticed some folks in the audience having an argument over seats. So, naturally, he calls out to the audience and invites the 4 women to sit on stage. I've got to say, I was less than thrilled with the idea of having Peter Frampton on this tour, but he's been impressive. Yeah, there are only so many times you can hear "Baby I Love Your Way" or "Do You Feel Like I Do" before you go nuts, but he makes up for it by being so very enthusiastic. It's obvious he's having a blast.

Watching the set change is really an impressive display. I am truly amazed at how quickly and efficiently the road crew changed the stage from Frampton's set to Journey's.

The crowd for this show was fairly good, but it didn't appear to be sold out. I saw a section of reserved seating in the back on Neal's side of the stage that was empty all night. The place was huge though—I couldn't see the lawn at all from where I was sitting. No noticeable sound problems tonight, so I think they've worked out most of the glitches.
 
On to the set list, which had some treats...

Message of Love
-- Neal solo --
Stone In Love
Only the Young
Lights
Still They Ride
If He Should Break Your Heart
-- Jon solo --
When You Love A Woman
Higher Place
Feeling That Way
Anytime
All the Things
Don't Stop Believin'
Faithfully
World Gone Wild
Escape
-- Neal solo --
Wheel in the Sky
Separate Ways
Be Good to Yourself

Encore:
Any Way You Want It
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
We Will Meet Again

It was a treat to hear "All the Things"...very heavy sounding. The crowd didn't really get into it, but I loved it. Ditto for "World Gone Wild" and "We Will Meet Again." Oh well, the die-hards loved it!

Journeying back to the city by the bay...so you're on your own until Pittsburgh!

No comments: