Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2001

June 11, 2001: Lessons Learned on the Road

Hi one and all -- I have returned home to my city by the bay and have never been so glad to be home in my life. I had a blast this past week, but I am wiped out. Lots of lessons learned including...

1. Cross-country truck drivers can't possibly be paid enough money.

2. Do not listen to "Faithfully" while driving I-10 east (or I-20 east for that matter.) It is incredibly depressing.

3. Texas was surprisingly greener than I expected.

4. Given the choice between 110 degrees and 10% humidity and 75 degrees and 85% humidity, I will take 65 degrees and 55% humidity with an ocean breeze thank you very much...

5. "Lights" will always make me homesick.

And most importantly...

6. Traveling 1,700 miles in 8 days by car (plus a few hundred more by air in 2 days) is a LONG way to go. It is an absolutely grueling experience getting from town to town by a specific date and time. I have a new found respect for the band and ESPECIALLY for the road crew. I honestly don't know how they take it. After a week I am so physically spent, with a cold from all the temperature extremes and air conditioning, that the idea of having to do that for THREE MONTHS has me shaking with fear. It takes a special breed of person to do that for a living. I'm glad I had this experience, but I will never do it again. (And you all have permission to slap me should I consider it!) So gang when you're out there at a show this summer, appreciate the major undertaking these guys are taking on our behalf, because it is incredible.

(Oh and PS to Dan -- that check wasn't in my mail when I picked it up today... it is still coming right??... Dan?... hello??... )

No comments: