Search This Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2001

June 8, 2001: Conitnuing the Arrival Journey

Dallas, TX
Smirnoff Music Center

Before I get into this show, I thought I'd respond to some feedback I've gotten. First question: How long are the sets?

All the shows thus far have started at 6:30, and John Waite hits the stage on time (if not a couple minutes early) and plays for about 35 minutes. There's about a 15 minute intermission while the stage changes for Frampton, who hits the stage around 7:30 and plays for 60-70 minutes. (Oh, and take note, one of Frampton's roadies brings out incense before the show and it burns in the back ground for the entire set. If you’re upwind of it with a sore throat, it can be annoying!) Then it's set up for Journey, which takes about 15-20 minutes. Our boys hit the stage around 9:15 (give or take) and play for about 90 minutes. Thus far, all the shows have ended before 11:00.

Second question: What are the crowds like? Overall, pretty good. It's been a little hard for me to judge that due to having really good seats, but the crowds have been good. Albuquerque was definitely sold out and I'd say El Paso was too. This show looked to have some space available on the lawn, but it’s a fairly large amphitheater and it was pretty full. Thus far I'd say the crowd in Albuquerque was the most "into" the show. El Paso had a lot of people sitting down at various points, and I saw similar things here, but the folks who sat down weren't sitting down for long. And when I looked around at the crowd during some of the new songs, they seemed to be really getting into them even though the looks on their faces indicated this was the first time they've heard the songs.

So, on to the show. The band seemed to have worked out most of the sound glitches—I only noticed one occasion when Steve's mic seemed to be off or too low. Alas, it was at the opening to "To Be Alive Again," which is my favorite rocker off Arrival!

Before the guys hit the stage, I was chatting with a lady sitting behind me. I had overheard her say to her companions that Steve Perry was the lead singer. Well, naturally, I had to correct that assumption.

I told her no, there's a new singer named Steve Augeri. She said "Oh, when did he join the band? I just saw them in Las Vegas in December and Steve Perry was singing." Grooooaaaaaaaaaaan. It took some convincing, but I finally got her to believe that she didn’t see Steve Perry in December. (Fortunately I was wearing my '98 tour shirt with the band photo on the front so I was able to point at it and say "See, this is the lead singer. He's been with the band for 3 years now.") Once she adjusted to that fact, she said to me "I just thought Steve Perry had gotten a perm!" OY! I nearly fell over from laughing!

So, on to the set list. Again it's different from all the previous shows I've seen, and let me tell you, it's refreshing to NOT know exactly what song is coming next every time. (I do gotta say though, the longer I'm out here, the more I love hearing “Lights”...I think I'm getting a little homesick!)

Message of Love
-- Neal Solo --
Stone in Love
Only the Young
Lights
Still They Ride
I’ll Be Alright Without You
-- Jon Solo --
Open Arms
Higher Place
Just the Same Way
To Be Alive Again
Don't Stop Believin'
Faithfully
I Got a Reason
Escape
-- Neal Solo --
Wheel in the Sky
Separate Ways
Be Good to Yourself

Encore:
Anyway You Want It
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

On my never-ending Journey through the Southwest for Journeydigest.com...

No comments: