Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2005

January 21, 2005: Hello Hollywood!

Hollywood, CA
House of Blues

Holy mother of god....

That's about all I could think of when the frenzied whispers of "Steve Perry's here" spread through the crowd on Hollywood Boulevard today. When I finally caught a glimpse that proved the whispers were TRUE... I can't believe just how much I was shaking. I was in complete and utter shock. I kind of wandered away from the ceremony after he spoke babbling to myself... hell has truly frozen over. The best part -- not even the band knew he was coming until shortly before he arrived.

I was also in a mild panic. You see, we had invited the band to the Journey Past & Present luncheon, and that invitation was extended to former members. I was the one giving the welcome speech.... what if Perry showed up too?? Let's just say... BRAIN OVERLOAD!

Alas, it was not to be. The last anyone saw of Mr. Perry was signing a few autographs and taking pictures on Hollywood Boulevard -- delighting and amazing many fans. For the cynics among you Neal and Ross gave Steve a big hug and Steve Augeri shook his hand.

It was an incredible group of people in attendance -- truly past and present with both George Tickner (who is a very sweet man and was very honored) and Robert Fleischman joining Steve Smith, Aynsley Dunbar, and our current crew.

On to the concert.... mind blowing. The House of Blues is hotter than all hell, but I wasn't going to give up my spot in front of the stage for anything. The first guest appearance was from Robert Fleischman and Aynsley Dunbar on "Wheel in the Sky." Fleischman shared vocal duties with Augeri and it was a different take on a familiar song. He left, but Aynsley remained on the drums for "Lights."

THAT was followed by Steve Smith hopping on the kit (as Deen and Jim did the "we're not worthy" bow) and playing drums for "Walks Like a Lady," "Chain Reaction," and "Voodoo Chile/Gypsy Queen" -- all I can say is OH... MY... GOD... I've seen Smitty play many times before, but seeing him up there with Journey, well, that was just too good for words. Deen was looking on the whole time, obvious in his fan-dom too.

My brain is still on overload, and I probably have more to say, but after Jonathan handed me a rose out of the bouquet that had been sent, we guess, by Randy Jackson (who also sent along a taped message) I kind of short circuited.*

*We later learned that the rose bouquet had been sent by a fan who wanted to attend but was unable to join the festivities.

I have no set list to share, but it's pretty much the same as they've played all year, so no new surprises there. I will end with the observation that I couldn't believe how happy they all looked.... it was truly a night to remember.

What a day...

What a night..

No comments: