Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2005

October 9, 2005; Last Generation

Los Angeles, CA
Greek Theater

Well, here we are gang, once again at the end of the official tour. Sure, there are dates being added in November and December, but last night's show in LA was the end of the summertime fun. And what a fun time it was...

I took off for So Cal yesterday morning after having spent all of last week battling the Journey flu I had acquired LAST weekend. Saturday was the first day I had felt semi-human in a week, and when I took off Sunday morning, I was wondering how on earth I would make it through a 3-hour concert on zero reserves.

I got to my hotel around mid-day and decided to rest in my room until it was time to pick up Leslie at the airport and head to the pre-show picnic. Cheryl called me just as I'd settled in and said "where are you? we're all in the lobby!" So, I abandoned my plans for a nap and headed downstairs to meet Cheryl, Teresa, Lori, Deb, Jenn and Barb. Imagine my surprise when we walked into the lounge and Caryn (aka Journeycat) popped out from behind a pillar! It was so great to see her at the end of the summer and get a chance to talk to her live and in person. Kudos to Cheryl and Teresa for dragging her outta Texas for the last show of the summer!

I visited with the gang for a bit then headed over to the airport to pick up Leslie and then over to the Greek for the picnic. A very nice, casual affair attended by many. I had been sworn to secrecy about Cat's appearance, but finally had to pull Vincent off to the side and say "stop trying to organize a group photo -- Cat's in town and will be here!" When Cat finally arrived, she was showered with much love as she so well deserves. Above and beyond all the wonderful things she's done for Journey fans over the years, she's just one of the most all-around special people I've met. Journeyland is poorer for her moving on...

Shortly before the picnic broke up, the band's bus pulled up and into the parking lot right across from where we had all gathered. The crowd of 50 or so people cheered and waved as they pulled in. Everyone went their separate ways to kill the few hours between the necessary 5:00 end of the picnic and the 8:00 start of the show.

By the time Leslie and I returned to the Greek, we had just enough time to grab a quick snack and briefly visit with folks as we walked to our seats. I wasn't holding out much hope for my seat as I remembered my previous experience at the Greek in the same section -- I was on the far aisle on Jon's side and was obstructed by the stage construction the whole night and hardly ever saw Jon or Ross. I lucked out this time as my seat was further away from the stage, but also further in so I had a very clear view. Whew!

My energy level still wasn't up to normal, so I intended to sit through most of the first set thinking that, well, everyone else around me will be sitting. Wouldn't you know it, they were up for the first two songs! Top it off, the first set was shorter than usual! Great! So much for taking it easy! Once they hit "Just the Same Way" I was up on my feet and never sat again.

Intermission came and it was time to present the bike to the 17-year old winner. Out on stage walks Matt LeBlanc (aka Joey from Friends) to make the presentation. That was kind of interesting, if somewhat haphazard. I visited with folks during the intermission, and sighed in jealousy at all the familiar faces who had purchased 5-star packages and wound up in the front row.

Heading back to my seat I stopped to chat with Leslie who was sitting in the first row of the same section I was in (Section A, behind the pit) and she said the seat next to her was empty, so I wound up staying there for the second set, and wow, what a good plan that was!

Shortly after the second set began, a crew of security walks out with Matt LeBlanc and his family, and they sat in the last row of the pit, right in front of Leslie and me (and next to Journeypals Diana and Carol!) Gotta say, from that point on it was very difficult to know where to look during the show! I'm pleased to say the whole LeBlanc family was on their feet and having a great time all night long which included singing along to nearly all the songs and a slack-jawed, bug-eyed Matt when Neal hit the "Star Spangled Banner." The only downside of having a celebrity in front of us was at the very end when security came in and stood in the aisle between our section and the pit -- completely obscuring my view of the stage during Jon's harmonica intro to LTS! Someone needs to be slapped!

The guys were really loose on stage and having a great time -- you could tell they knew they've got a few weeks off to be normal and so were just having a blast. Steve nearly took out Neal when he spun and dropped his mic stand. From where I stood, it looked like it nearly hit a few of the die-hards in the front row (and boy, do THOSE folks have some tales to tell!) I think my personal highlight of the show, however, came mid-way through the second set when as "Lights" ended Neal teased us with the opening of "Stay Awhile" (I about had a heart attack when I thought they were going into that) but instead it morphed into Deen singing "Still They Ride"! While Deen wasn't in perfect voice, it was GREAT to hear that song for the first time in several years. It's long been a favorite of mine and it just felt so right last night.

Once again the end of the show came all too soon, and somewhere along the line I got a burst of energy that can only come from a Journey concert -- I was surprisingly NOT tired and ready to crash. Lots of long and lingering goodbyes and hugs on the way out before heading back to the hotel and trying to find some place for a cocktail as the bar in our hotel closed at 10!

Up at the crack of dawn this morning for a farewell breakfast with Jenn, Barb, Cheryl, Teresa, Leslie, and Cat. As always, rehashing the night before. Leslie gets the gold star for recognizing a Neal instrumental over the PA (and 30 wet lashes for Barb who missed it!) My favorite part of my annual Journey road trips is visiting with and making new friends. There is never enough time to visit as much as I'd like, especially when we know that the next visit will be months and months away, but it is always cherished time. To ALL my Journey pals from around the globe -- it was GREAT seeing you last night, visiting for a short time, and having a wonderful rock and roll experience. Here's hoping we will meet again before the end of 2005 (Reno?? Anyone?? Hint hint hint...) and if not, back on the road somewhere in 2006 (Europe?! Major ROAD TRIP!)

Set list:

People & Places intro
Of a Lifetime (Jon)
I'm Gonna Leave You (Jon)
Mystery Mountain (Jon)
In Self Defense (Neal)
Walks Like a Lady (Ross)
Just the Same Way (Jon/Steve)
The Place in Your Heart
Any Way You Want It

-- Intermission/bike presentation --

Intro
Be Good to Yourself
Ask the Lonely
Only the Young
Faith in the Heartland
Star Spangled Banner
Stone in Love
Wheel in the Sky
Chain Reaction
Lights
Still They Ride (Deen)
Every Generation
Jon Solo
Open Arms
Escape
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin'
Separate Ways

Encore:
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'

No comments: