Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2005

June 2005: The Unfinished Frontiers Review

August 1, 2014: As a contributing author to the JourneyDigest.com website, I was asked to write a couple of album reviews. In digging through my archives, I found this article which seems to have been the start of a review of "Frontiers." I don't know why it wasn't finished (or even if it was finished and lost), but I thought I'd include this with the other items I've uncovered for this archive.

  Jfrontiers.jpg

Ba-da ba-da ba-da-da-da, Ba-da ba-da ba-da-da-da…

Instantly recognizable, the opening notes to “Separate Ways” ushers in Journey’s memorable follow up to the multi-platinum selling album Escape. Frontiers came out hot on the heels of the band’s biggest selling album, and with that kind of success it had to come out of the box on fire, lest all the momentum that had finally built into the peak of success come crashing to a halt. Journey’s ace in the hole was “Separate Ways” – a song they had debuted during the Escape tour. It was the first single off the album, and reached number eight on the charts seven weeks later.

I don’t remember where or when I bought Frontiers – I do know I got it as soon as I could find the ten bucks and a ride to the mall, not always an easy combination when you’re a freshman in high school. I don’t really remember the first time I put it on the turntable, plugged in the headphones, and sat down on the couch to listen to it. I do remember being amazed by how furious Neal’s guitar playing was, and not entirely sure I liked the album after that first spin. I was definitely more in the ballad/mid-tempo category at that point in time. Of course, the album also contained “Faithfully” – at 14 that was reason enough for me to call it a winner. It was the perfect daydreaming song.

Perhaps what was so difficult after that first listen was just how different side two was from side one. With continuous playing on CDs, we’ve lost one of the best features found on LPs – the ability to have two entirely different sounds on the same album. Side one of Frontiers is more pop-oriented and contains all the singles, side two the more challenging complex sounds that wouldn’t have succeeded on Top 40 radio. These are songs with an edge. Listening to this album on CD, the gear strip your brain goes through when “Faithfully” ends side one and side two begins with “Edge of the Blade” is completely jarring. On LP this transition was smoother since you would have to get up and turn the album over, and those few seconds made a big difference in how the album sounded.

So, how best to look at this album in 2005? It certainly holds up and doesn’t sound too dated, due mostly to Neal’s furious guitar work. I was surprised when I looked over the credits that Neal did not have a single songwriting credit on the four singles that were released (“Separate Ways”, “Faithfully”, “After the Fall”, and “Send Her My Love.”)

“Back Talk.” This was probably the song that most made me want to skip side two back in 1983. I absolutely could not stand it, yet there it was, smack dab in the middle of side two – impossible to skip over without an effort. I did not want to hear my favorite band singing lyrics that sounded like a pissed off parent. Heck, it was bad enough dealing with my own parents! It took me 14 years and a really, really, really bad day at work to fully appreciate it. Of course, the ultimate irony is that this is the song Journey chose to name their fan forums on their official website.


*As I edit this post for publication, the title track popped up on iTunes. A good sign I should include this old lost article. I do think now, in 2014, side two of "Frontiers" is my favorite. Though, to be fair, I haven't listened to the whole album in awhile. Probably should do something about that!

No comments: