Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2004

December 11, 2004: A Road to Reno

Reno, NV
City Center Pavilion

And so concludes the 2004 touring season. As I drove up to Reno yesterday, I couldn't help but remember the other trips I'd made through the Sierra Nevadas on my way to a Journey show. The mountains are always so pretty in winter time and this trip brought back vivid memories of being stuck just short of Donner Pass back in November of 2000 while on my way to hear the first playing of tracks from Arrival. I popped Arrival in my CD player and had it blaring as I pulled in to Reno a short while later.

I arrived in Reno late yesterday morning and met up with Darla and Emerson for lunch. With nothing much going on until evening, I took a quick nap before heading over to Brew Brothers and the gathering of 70 or so Back Talkers. A fun evening of seeing friends I hadn't seen in a while (and some I'd just seen last week!) I left the gathering a little early to deal with some JPP business, and made it to my seat at the show just in time for the opening notes.

We'd heard before the show that most of the band was sick, which since they were sick last week too didn't surprise me much. Alas, this universal illness meant that the set list was cut WAY short. When "Escape" started, I looked at my watch -- it was only 9:15! Lots of songs were cut out.

But, while short, the set was strong. Better a good short show than a mediocre long show, right?? I had a pretty good seat -- 9th row center section. With the high rollers sitting in rows 1-7, it was easy to see the stage since they sat for most of the show. Unlike last week in Clearwater, however, those NOT in the high roller seats were on their feet and singing and dancing along. Other than a guy getting on stage and trying to sing with the band towards the end of the show (and immediately whisked off stage) there weren't any particular stand out moments for the evening. Alas, it was over all too soon, and it was time to turn back around for the drive home.

The end of the year's touring is always met with mixed emotions, but at least we know that the break will be short -- Hollywood is just 5 weeks away!

Set List:

Intro
Be Good to Yourself
Only the Young
Joy to the World/Star Spangled Banner
Stone in Love
Wheel in the Sky
Suzanne -- Deen vox
Lights
Walks Like a Lady -- Ross vox
Chain Reaction
Voodoo Chile/Gypsy Queen -- Neal vox
-- Jon solo --
Open Arms
Just the Same Way
Escape
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin'
Separate Ways
Any Way You Want It

Encore:
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

No comments: