Search This Blog

Saturday, May 3, 2003

January 2002-April 2003: Behind the Weekend: Journey Past & Present and the Bammies Walk of Fame (part 6)

Bammies Walk of Fame
Friday, April 25, 2003


Friday morning. This was it. This was THE day. Everything that had transpired over the previous sixteen months had led up to this day. As tired as I had been when I went to bed Thursday night, I didn't sleep much-the anticipation was too great. Leslie, Cheryl, and I were up at 7:00 and started getting ready-taking turns showering and grabbing breakfast and going over our assignments for the morning. Leslie would be the driver for the day, transporting the team over to the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium (heretofore referred to as "the Civic") for the set up. Cheryl was responsible for making sure the backstage area was ready to go (including providing drinks and snacks-quick run to the store!) and would head over with Leslie. I would remain at the hotel with Mary Ann and Darla and finish checking in the last of our attendees and wait for the buses to take us over to the Civic Auditorium. Around 8, we called the other committee suite where Mary Ann, Darla, and Emerson were going through much the same process.

One of our concerns was how were we going to "hide" the plaque until it was officially unveiled. We had been told that the staff at the Civic would put a board over the plaque Wednesday afternoon and a "decorative" covering would be needed for Friday morning. What we learned was that the board had never been put over the plaque-Rob and a couple of our attendees had walked over on Thursday morning and took a sneak peek at the plaque-it was there for all to see with nothing but a sawhorse over it that had been placed there while the cement was drying! We managed to talk the convention services at the hotel out of a black tablecloth and Cheryl put it in her bag to take over to the Civic. (It turned out that it was unnecessary-someone had provided a small box to cover the plaque.)

A little before 9:00, Mary Ann and I were back in the lobby with the last of the registration materials and Leslie was making her first run over to the Civic-dropping off Cheryl, Caryn Sinagra, and Michelle Aheron who were preparing for the band's eminent arrival. Leslie returned shortly to pick up Rob, Emerson, and Jeff so that the video equipment and barricades could be put in place for guests.

While Cheryl, Leslie, and Emerson were over at the Civic preparing for the 12:00 ceremony, the JPP attendees started gathering in the hotel lobby. The people who had arrived late Thursday evening or were just arriving that morning slowly made their way through and got their registration materials. The hotel staff was excellent about making sure we had everything we needed-including sending the head of security over to ask when we were expecting the buses to arrive and load so he could make certain there was space for them to park.

Some of the gifts from our attendees
As had happened much of Thursday, the JPP attendees began showering us with gifts. Chocolate, flowers and potent potables were the most common. (I guess everyone took me seriously when I said I really needed a drink!)


We had most people checked in by 10:15, so I began another series of rides in the elevator-31 floors up and down-toting a variety of items that we wouldn't need on the buses. Meanwhile, several of our attendees went hunting for umbrellas-it had been raining off and on all morning, and raining steadily. I held my breath a prayed it would stop before noon.

The first bus pulled up shortly before 11:00, and I went out to meet the driver. The rain had slowed to a light drizzle, but the sky was still very cloudy. I talked with the driver and confirmed that he was indeed there for our group and asked when the second bus would arrive. He told me that he was the only driver-there was no second bus! A minor panic ensued on my part. I knew we had ordered two buses-I had personally written the check just a week before to pay for two buses. Where the heck was the second bus?? The driver got on his phone to the bus headquarters and I got on my phone and called Darla who had taken the last box of things upstairs. I told her to find the bus contract in my file and bring it downstairs. I had sixty-five people in the lobby and a bus that held forty people-I had to have that second bus!

Crisis was avoided again when the second bus pulled up about five minutes later, and it was time to load up. In the process of bringing all the items back to our hotel rooms I had accidentally left the checklist of attendees in the box of things I didn't need. It was too late to go back and get it, so I took a quick count of heads on the two buses and asked if anyone knew of anyone who was missing. No one was reported missing, but we did almost leave with out Deen's mother and sister! (Ooops!) Fortunately they arrived just as we were closing the doors to the buses, and no one was left behind. Mercifully, the rain had stopped, and except for a light drizzle part way through the ceremony everyone would remain dry.

11:15 and the buses began the short caravan from our Union Square hotel to the Civic Center. I called ahead and let Leslie know we were on our way. Leslie asked me if I had a copy of Arrival or Red 13 with me, I said I didn't but when I posed the question to the bus several people responded that they did-great, more music for the pre-ceremony! The lead bus was taking us down Polk with the intention of turning left on Grove Street and dropping us off right in front of the Civic. One problem with that-we had closed Grove Street in that direction! So we had to take a detour and come around the block and exit the buses across the street.

Everyone got off the buses and, in true San Francisco fashion, walked right across the street in the middle of the road! Cheryl and Leslie had made sure there was a special "reserved" area for the JPP attendees-front and center! I marched up with the group and got them to the right spot and then went into "promoter" mode. Part of the arrangements with our sponsors was to have fliers distributed at the event, so I recruited a few volunteers and started handing out program fliers and other promotional material as promised. This meant I had to cut across the stage from time to time, as there was a flurry of activity going on all around me. I was able to stop and take a look out at the crowd and I was thrilled-the turn out was fantastic and everyone was very excited! Standing on the stage also afforded me a great view of Gregg Rolie hopping out of his limousine and ducking in to the Civic! The cheer from the few people who saw him was music to my ears.

Dennis Erokan welcomes the band.
Close to noon, I had finished distributing fliers and went to take up my position (cameras in hand) next to the media pit-smack dab in front of the podium. I wasn't going to miss a single expression on anyone's face by being stuck in the back! The crowd was really humming by this point and "Higher Place" was blaring from the PA (okay, so we had a little music, but it wasn't live music so I don't think we violated any permits!) and I started dancing along. When I looked up I could see Deen's mom rocking out to the side and caught her eye. We both smiled-this was a good day!

The Lobster (aka Paul Wells) makes his comments
Dennis Erokan came out and the ceremonies got underway. One by one the band, along with their families, came out and took the stage. My heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to explode and the crowd let out a huge cheer. There they were, on the dais with their wives and children-that was what hit me the most. I expected to see Neal, Jonathan, Ross, Steve, Deen, Aynsley, Gregg and Herbie up there. I didn't expect to see their families there also, at least not on the dais with them. Wow, this really was a big deal!
Cheryl and Darla representing the JPP Committee
The ceremony opened with a seven minute recorded introduction produced by local DJ Paul "The Lobster" Wells (with some help from VH1 and Behind the Music.) The guys sat there and listened as the history of Journey unfolded-it was hard to believe that 30 years had passed since Journey formed. Darla and Cheryl were up next-they'd volunteered to say a few words to the crowd (after some convincing from Dennis that at least one of us should be part of the ceremony.) All I can say is I'm glad it was them and not me-I probably would have gotten sick on Ross's shoes! I could tell Darla was nervous and I kept sending good thoughts her way so that she could make it through with out getting sick on Ross's shoes! Cheryl spoke next and I would have sworn that's what she did for a living. (It was later that I learned she had been nervously pacing up and down the hallway inside the Civic only moments before!)
Steven Seaweed

Up next were two more long-standing members of the Bay Area music scene -- Steven Seaweed, a DJ from 107.7 "The Bone" (formerly known as KSAN) and Joel Selvin, music editor for the San Francisco Chronicle. Both spoke to the history of Journey in San Francisco, having witnessed it from the very earliest days.


Joel Selvin

Herbie Herbert was our next speaker, and it was wonderful hearing about Journey from the perspective of the man who created the band around Neal Schon. Herbie is truly an old San Francisco hippie, and I've got to say I'm fascinated by how he got so much accomplished with that kind of sensibility. And, of course, the image of Herbie and his "wayward children" is too priceless to ever be forgotten.

Herbie Herbert talks about his "wayward children"
Mayor Brown was due next, but as is typical, he was running late. Dennis took this opportunity to make a few more comments, including a quick introduction of each of the guys on stage. The roar that went up when Steve Augeri was introduced sent chills down my spine. It was unbelievably loud-the loudest of all the cheers that day. Dennis then ran through the list of Bammies that had been awarded to the members of Journey. It's impressive, but I was particularly amused by the sheepish grin on Jonathan's face as Dennis read off the five "Outstanding Keyboardist" awards he had won.

Ross Valory addresses the crowd
Dennis stretched for as long as he could, but the mayor still hadn't arrived, so Ross and Neal each took a turn at the podium to address the crowd. I could tell they were in a bit of a state of amazement that this was actually happening-the sincerity in their comments was apparent. It's hard now to recall what was going through my mind, everything was happening so quickly it seemed, but I stood there watching and listening and beaming with pride. I felt like a proud parent-there were "my boys" finally, finally getting the recognition they so long deserved in their hometown! It was unbelievable.
Neal Schon takes his turn at the mic


Mayor Brown arrived and gave an invigorated speech. He's a politician's politician and can rally a crowd like no one I've seen. Whether or not he was really at Winterland on New Year's Eve 1973 is irrelevant, you believed he was truly there! (My compliments to his research staff!) Mayor Brown then presented the band with their "Walk of Fame Day" proclamation.

San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown




Now it was time to unveil the plaque and as everyone got into position, I was nearly knocked over as a couple of video cameras (presumably belonging to the band) came flying over my head. I ducked down into a squat behind the rope to let the camera guys through and then watched as the guys stepped down from the dais mere inches in front of me! Of course, the view I got was from the rear, but I can't really complain too much about that now can I?



Herbie Herbert accepts the
"Walk of Fame Day" proclamation
Once the plaque was unveiled and photos were taken, the guys stepped back to the dais and one by one Aynsley, Steve, Gregg, Deen, and Jonathan each said a few words. Deen's comments touched me the most-he was near tears and my heart just swelled a thousand times.


Journey members past and present
and the Bammies Walk of Fame plaque
photo courtesy Caryn Sinagra
And then it was over-the speeches, the planning, the months to get that darned plaque in the ground. It was done! I looked around for a minute and then burst in to tears! Oh my god, we actually pulled it off! How on earth did we manage to do it? I never thought I'd see the day, but not only had I just seen it I had planned it! I can't remember a time I'd ever felt so proud or that I had really accomplished something.

After a couple of minutes to recompose myself, I got back in to planner mode. Where were my attendees? Where was the rest of the committee? Have we cleaned up enough? Is someone putting the barricades back? What time is it? I scrambled around checking things out while the guys took time to sign autographs and pose for pictures-everyone was getting a chance to talk with the band! Fantastic.

Journey members past and present at the Bammies Walk of Fame Ceremony
L-R: Steve Augeri, Gregg Rolie, Aynsley Dunbar, Deen Castronovo, Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, & Ross Valory
Dealing with a large group of people and several different things happening simultaneously is rather like herding cats-just when I got two where I need them, three more dashed out in opposite directions. I kept walking up and down the street trying to make sure I had everyone on the bus and all the items we brought with us that we needed to bring back. The buses were mostly loaded when I went looking for Jeff, who had been taking down the barricades. Once found I hustled him to the bus and made sure everyone was on board. Then we saw the limos loading-oh no! the band was leaving before us!

No comments: