Search This Blog

Thursday, November 9, 2000

November 9, 2000 -- Arrival First Impressions

April 13, 2018: While working on the 2018 reformat of this blog, I dove once again into the Journey Digest archives and stumbled upon my response about the original Japanese release of Arrival. I was replying to a review from Kevin, another member of the list who had graciously copied his CD of Arrival for me while I waited for my import copy to arrive (having not had the foresight to pre-order it.) I thought I'd add it to this collection of commentary also. (I've edited it a bit so as to not read too much like "internet speak".) I used some of this as the basis for my album review for JourneyDigest.com a few weeks later (linked article is the updated version after the US release of Arrival in April 2001.) Text in italics are Kevin's original comments.

  JOURNEY - Arrival - CD - Import - **Mint Condition** - RARE

Thanks to the great generosity of a fellow fan who ever so kindly made me a tape of Arrival to tie me over until my copy (belatedly ordered) arrives from Japan, I am now VERY excited about the show Saturday night! While sitting in the parking lot at work this morning waiting for "To Be Alive Again" to end (no way I get out of the car until the last note is played) it crossed my mind that I wouldn't mind in the least if the boys scrapped the "best of" songs entirely and just played the new stuff. Since I realize that is unlikely, I am VERY curious about which songs they will include in their set.

I've done a fairly good job of avoiding reading/listening to other peoples comments about the new stuff until I had an opportunity to hear it all for myself -- particularly since after taking 5 hours to get 3-4 songs from Napster, I figured I'd just get more frustrated! So, if you're of the same mind, stop now 'cause I'm about to expound! ;) (Borrowing some comments from Kevin): 

1. Higher Place~ It's a Blades/Schon collaboration and it rocks!!!!!

Absolutely! I love the energy. A very strong lead into the CD. 

2. All the Way~ MY GOD!! I thought SP had rejoined the group....Augeri's vocals are awesome!!

The first listen, as I usually do with most new stuff, I put the tape in and went about doing other things so that the feel would sink in and the surprises pop up. I had to put the newspaper down and rewind – I could have sworn Augeri was channeling Perry! Feels very "When You Love a Woman"-ish to me.

3. Signs of Life~ Again it's the lyrics...

I'm still working on the lyrics... I'm a word person and getting a little frustrated trying to learn them! LOL! But actually since I don't have the words handy, I'm paying more attention to the
instruments.... oh so sweet.


4. All the Things~ This song is a blues-tinted rocker with heavy guitars and drums.

I love this one. It is different, and may take a few some time to get used to, but it is a stellar job.

5. Loved By You~ The piano and Steve's voice!! Perfectly complementing each other. A ballad that I like....It's the lyrics that are grabbing me with these ballads....

Okay, this is the song I've been waiting nearly three years to be released. I heard Jon perform it solo in March'98 and instantly fell in love with it. It was getting this song that was the motivating factor for hitting Napster for me. To quote my cousin when I told her this song was on the new CD "Jon is such a mush sometimes... I love it!" Having the full band on it just makes it all that much stronger.

6. Livin' To Do~ This, believe it or not, is my least favorite song. The guitar at the beginning is too mellow, too drawn out. Once it riffs into the bluesy notes and Steve starts singing, though, it's listenable.

I think it's more than listenable. I really enjoy it. I like the mournful feel it's got. It's definitely a deep song, and I think it's the grab-me-in-the-gut that I find so appealing.

7. I Got A Reason~ Okay, here's a rocker. This one just makes my feet move.

Dancin' in the streets! I DARE anyone to sit still for this song.

8. With Your Love~ THE ballad. THE wedding song. The perfect love song.

I've been to 7 weddings in the last 12 months and NOW I get to hear this song?? This surely would have made one or two of the more tedious ones bearable!

9. Lifetime of Dreams~ A little mellow. Another Infinity-esque ballad. It picks up nicely though and if they don't play this one, I'll be shocked. It's "Open Arms'" replacement.

Jury is still out on this one for me. It may be the sequence that has me with holding judgement -- the tempo slows down too much for me.

10. Live and Breathe~ Haunting....this is the song that was the intro to "Wheel in the Sky"...all fleshed out. Brings out those same emotions....takes me right back to the concerts... has a great bass beat through out. Ross must've reworked this one and it's the better for it.

Absolutely! It's a real song now rather than an extension of "Wheel." The new sound took me by surprise at first, but as I got into it I really enjoyed it. Now I'm trying to figure out where they'll stick it in concert...

11. Kiss Me Softly~ Another mid-tempo ballad that's easy on the ears. I actually like it.

I definitely enjoy this ballad except for one little quibble that really shouldn't matter, but it just picks up one of my pet peeves and thus is driving me a little nuts. I have a thing about the proper use of adverbs, and alas there is a line in the song that doesn't properly modify the verb. (Yes, I know, I'm a freak.) It probably wouldn't bother me quite as much if I didn't ALSO think it would just SOUND better. The line? "Hold me closer, love me tender..." ACK! it should be tenderLY. Yes, I know, Elvis, "Love Me Tender," I get it. It's still wrong! The Elvis song doesn't bug me as much because it sounds right. This bugs me because the line feels unfinished.

Okay, enough of my freak need for grammar...

12. I'm Not That Way~ Okay, now this is just a sappy love song, but, again, it picks up in the chorus and makes it listenable. 

UGH! It's the chorus that makes me think "Where are the Backstreet Boys? NSync?" This is definitely my least favorite song. While not inherently bad, it's just weak and a little bubble gum, and I'm usually a sucker for sappy love songs!

13. We Will Meet Again~ Yeah!! Another heavy drum song....almost a rocker. Lyrics remind me of loves lost but otherwise a great tune.

I LOVE the intro to this song. Deen is definitely wailin'. And yes, there is that "one who got away" sentiment... it's an interesting dynamic.

14. To Be Alive Again~ This is the bonus track. Another gem. I LOVE the piano....this is the one that I really thought reminded me most of Steve Perry. Yet, Steve Augeri owns this song. I can't wait to hear it in concert....I can't believe that this song couldn't be on the US version. We need to bombard Sony. This is a song EVERY Journey fan needs to hear. It's just cool!!!

AMEN! I have little to add to this assessment. This song is FANTASTIC. Had me boppin' down the hall on the way into my office (after aforementioned sitting in the parking lot listening to it.)

While listening to the tape, I thought to myself "do I like this simply because it's Journey or because it's good?" I realize that is a strong possibility because I just enjoy what these guys do so much. Fortunately I also said to myself, "you didn't like Bad English..." So I know I don't automatically love everything touched by the boys in Journey-land -- just most of it!

Two more days until Reno and I am PSYCHED!

No comments: